Wednesday, January 16, 2008

the most whacked out morning ever!

There are uncountless times that I have wondered to myself, "What the effing hell am I doing in film school?". Usually these thoughts occur at very specific times - when I had to work with a mat salleh bengong (a filthy rich 27 year old living out of his parents money) who didn't have any TACT or common courtesy in talking to people in general, when I was asked to do 10 million things simultaneously on a single shoot and of course - when I have to freeze my ass in the biting cold for hours and hours.

How the weather can be so very unkind!! So Steve and I set off to midtown at 2.45am to film his documentary subject, these Greek guys who man a coffee cart (whose food and iced coffee in general I have grown to love so much - cheap AND filling) They were supposed to be there by at least 3.45am, so we got there almost 50 minutes earlier. I honestly didn't understand why we needed to be there so early, but knowing Steve (who turns up an hour before class starts) I really couldn't say much. I had bundled up as much as I could have (2 freaking sweaters, a jacket, thermals) but needless to say it was just too cold to be standing out waiting around. Of course, I stood still, thinking of warm, toasty thoughts while laughing and responding to him politely through gritted teeth (when honestly I really wanted to yell and curse and scream and strangle his neck for making me go through this horrible, horrible experience) Then maybe he came to his senses that we shouldn't be out waiting in the cold so we walked to Waldorf Astoria to warm up (for like a measly 10 minutes) before going back, and this time the coffee cart guys came and he started shooting. And I have never felt so cold in my life, my fingers and toes were just numb. But I didn't want to seem like a brat so I held on in the mother-effing cold until I couldn't take it anymore!!!

To cut the story short, let's just say I stayed in their van to warm up, and in the end both of us walked to Grand Central to hang around until people actually started coming to the cart. We sat down against a wall in the middle of freaking Grand Central and while 1200000 New Yorkers filled in and out to get about their daily lives, we fell asleep with our mouths hanging open, and couldn't have cared any less.


No comments: